søndag 16. september 2012

"I Really Have to Read More Books"

TIME REGAINED



Original title: Le temps retrouvé
Year: 1999
Country: France/Italy/Portugal
Language: French, English
Number: 954
Director: Raúl Ruiz
Starring: Catherine Deneuve, Emmanuelle Béart, Vincent Perez, John Malkovich

Raoul Ruiz' Time Regained is based on Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time, a book that I should probably have read first, because this movie is to difficult to understand because it certainly doesn't follow a normal story structure. For me it's like putting together a jigsaw puzzle without the picture on the box, or looking for a treasure with out a map, which was of course the book. This is just the kind of film you have the feeling that you should read the book before the film, and from now on I shall follow that feeling.

Trying to judge it as a movie, it goes like this: It's confusing, it's impossible to keep track of who the character is, because there are too many of them. There's to many different plot lines. But what I did like was the whole setting of the film, the aristocratic one who barely notice the war. And also some of the characters are interesting, like John Malkovich as the Baron de Charlus who loves being whipped by other men on his time off. An the also features two beauties, Catherine Deneuve and Emmanuelle Béart, which is of course a plus. I did in fact like the acting pretty much, the characters have such a depth, that it actually makes me want to read the book. It's so close, but I have to give it a thumbs down because of the plot itself.


Grade: C-

You can read all my reviews on:

Ingen kommentarer: